Boys and Girls ages 13-17:
If you’re interested in trying out for our Competitive Youth Novice Teams AFTER the fall season, please contact our Novice coaches…
Novice Girls: Kerry Bryan firstname.lastname@example.org
Novice Boys: Trish Milla email@example.com
NO Experience Needed! Lots of college recruiting opportunites!
Novice Practice Schedules:
Novice Boys: Mon-Thur 4-6pm, Sat 10-12pm, Sun 12-2pm, Fri is OFF
Novice Girls: Mon-Fri 4-6pm, Sat 10-12, Sun is OFF.
QUESTIONS: Please contact Head Coach Tim Franck at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-489-2017
SLRC JUNIOR CALENDAR – FALL 2017
*The following is subject to change – rely on your rower’s coach for up to date information*
SEPTEMBER & OCTOBER
Sept. 18-30 Novice Team Try-Outs
Novice Girls: Monday – Friday 4:00pm – 6:00pm; Saturday 10:00am – 12:00pm
Novice Boys: Mon – Thurs 4:00pm-6:00pm, Sat 10:00am-12:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-1:00pm
Sept. 30 For both Boys’ and Girls’, final team roster decision will be emailed out after practice on 9/30.
Oct. 9 Novice Family Orientation
Monday, October 9 – 6:30pm – 7:30pm
Club introduction & orientation for new rowers and their parents
[Note: First novice regatta will be October 28 – see schedule below for details]
OCTOBER & NOVEMBER
The team hotels, buses & vans have been booked for the following Fall 2017 SLRC regatta events. The overview on the next two pages is just a preliminary heads up for all of you early planners – additional details [team hotel assignments, etc.] will be available after the start of the season.
Oct. 8 HEAD of the ROCK Regatta
Regatta Sunday, October 8
Event address: YMCA of Rock River Valley, 200 Y Blvd., Rockford, IL 61107
Rowing on…Rock River
Varsity Team Only [New novice rowers starting in September, 2017 will not attend]
Please note that this is a Sunday race date – Team will depart early on Saturday, Oct 7.
Click here to view Head of the Rock details on Regatta Central.
Oct. 28 BLAKE HAXTON Regatta
Regatta Saturday, October 28
Event address: Griggs Reservoir, 2933 Riverside Drive, Columbus, OH 43221
Rowing on…Griggs Reservoir, Scioto River
Varsity & Novice –Team will depart early on Friday, Oct. 27.
Click here to view the Blake Haxton Invitational website (current to 2016)
Nov. 4-5 HEAD of the HOOCH
Regatta Saturday & Sunday, November 4-5
Event address: Ross’s Landing, 201 Riverfront Parkway, Chattanooga, TN 37402
Rowing on…Tennessee River
Varsity & Novice –Team will depart early on Friday, Nov. 3 and return in early AM [usually between midnight & 2:00am] on Monday, Nov. 6.
Click here to view the Head of the Hooch website
Are you wanting more information about race venues, regatta schedules, and more? Look no further than RegattaCentral.com.
If you’re looking for race results, please head to HereNOW.com for up to the minute results. You may just know how your rower placed before he or she does!
Two important updates – Fall 2017 parent & family hotel reservations
- When we started the Fall 2017 hotel booking process in May, it was already tough to find suitable blocks of hotel rooms for the Head of the Rock (Rockford, IL) and Head of the Hooch (Chattanooga). If you think you might want to attend any of the events, I would recommend that you make your hotel reservation before the autumn season is underway.
- Important caveat: Please do not reference the St. Louis Rowing Club reservations if you are making a family room reservation at any of the hotels listed above. You are welcome to book at the same locations, but want to ensure that rooms held for coaches & rowers aren’t mistakenly allocated to parents.
Days off from school
SLRC junior team members typically miss 2 days of school to attend fall events. This year, we know that we’ll be travelling on two weekdays (Friday, October 27 & Friday, November 3).
How should SLRC families approach teachers & schools about the regatta travel dates? Here are a few sage words of advice from seasoned rowers and team parents:
Tips for ROWERS
- Ask, don’t tell – Rowing is a privilege, and it comes secondary to your education. When you talk to your teachers about the regatta trips this fall, take an extra moment to provide them with some context. How much time will you personally invest to prepare for the competitions (and day off from school), and why is your attendance at the regattas important for you & your team? Remember that not everyone is familiar with rowing – and that you are representing the St. Louis Rowing Club when you ask for special permission to miss a day of school.
- Notify teachers early…and then follow-up – Teachers & principals are generally pretty flexible when it comes competitive athletic team travel, but we strongly encourage rowers to provide their teachers with their team travel dates at the start of the fall semester. Why the early notice? Teachers typically have to do extra work to accommodate changes in homework assignments or test dates for individual students, so plenty of advance notice – plus another follow-up reminder about a week before our travel date(s) – will typically help prevent any additional disruption to their weekly planning.
- Make it easy to say yes – Ensure that you have a great attendance record, show up for class on time each day, and build a reputation as the kind of student that teachers can count on.
Tips for PARENTS
- Ideally, rowers should take the initial lead when talking to teachers about regatta dates, scheduling any advance work, and/or to following-up and ensure that all relevant homework, classroom assignments, tests, etc. are complete.
- Missouri law does require parents to grant permission for student absences. Individual school policies vary, but typically parents should contact their school attendance line, front office, and/or principal to notify them in advance of any absence.
- Be sure to have your rower remind their teachers that they’ll be missing a day on the week before we leave. Teachers will often provide classwork or reading that your rower can work on during the regatta.
- You might also want to remind your athlete to pack homework, notebooks, and other school gear before they leave for the trip. SLRC rowers do study on the bus rides and in the regatta tent between events, so they’ll want to ensure that they have the gear they need to use their time wisely.
The Juniors will NOT have practice from Wed Nov 22 – Sun Nov 26. Practice will resume on Mon Nov 27.
The Juniors will NOT have practice from Dec. 24 – Jan 1. Practice will resume on Tuesday Jan. 2.
To help give you an idea about the costs associated with having a Novice rower in the Juniors program, please take a look at the Novice Rowers Costs 2015-16 Spring.
Average cost per regatta is $225 depending on the number of rowers that attend and other variables.